Saturday, November 22, 2014

James Bosworth Peakes.

First Maine Bugle Magazine
Publish date 1893, p. 69.

Santa Cruz, Cal., Jan. 8th, 1893.

Gen. J. P. Cilley,

When captured 156,lbs. when released 85,lbs.
Dear Sir and Comrade, I have just been reading the last Bugle and think it is about time for me to fall in and pay my dues. Thinking it may be of inteest to some of my old comrades, I send you with this a picture of myself, taken at Alexandria, Va., in Sept. 1863, after being four months a prisoner, two months at Lynchburg and two months on Belle Isle. Enclosed please fmd order for fifteen dollars, four for picture, two fifty for badge of First Maine Cavalry, three dollars for dues, three fifty for Bugle Campaign II., and for Campaign III., and the balance to be applied to subscription for Bugle for Comrade Edmund T. Bangs, who, I see by the Bugle, has been unfortunate. Please inform me as to date of the next reunion, as I intend to visit the East sometime this year and wish to time my visit so as to attend the reunion and fall in line once more with the " boys " and answer to the roll-call," Here."

Yours fraternally,
James B. Peakes,

Maine First Cavalry
Co. A, 1st Me. Cav.

Maine First Cavalry

Peakes, James B.; Age 20; res. Oldtown; mus. Oct. 19, '61; pris. at Middletown, May 24, '62; ex. and rejoined co. in Oct.; on detached duty as scout for Gen. Kilpatrick, Sept. '63; pris. Sept. 20, '63, near Culpepper; ex. Dec. 26, and rejoined co. ; m. o. Nov. 25, '65, ex. of ser.

Author.  To read of his Civil War service and family, go to the site of ( Find a Grave ).

No comments: